Posts Tagged ‘toy’

Car Trouble

September 23, 2010

A lovely little vehicle which started life off as a cheapo toy on the shelves of the local Tesco. Having been taken apart, daubed in part with paint stripper, spray painted on others and a liberal whallop of rust coloured paint and a Tamiya weathering kit and you have a very third-world looking pickup suitable for a lot of roles.

The lack of a driver is deliberate as I think it gives the model a lot more possibility in games from post apocalyptic, through zombies and back to ultra modern, and looking as if it might be a doubtful starter. Some of the rust is real, but that proved to be too complex a technique to use for the whole thing, but was quite zen as well as offering a perfect colour guide. There’s little more rust coloured than rust after all.

Knowing the naturally inquisitive nature of my readers I will share the technique though, but try not to drive yourself mad with it. Typically it involves owning something which is rusting or rusts easily, to which you then add a fair amount of water and in a way where the added water becomes tainted with said rust. Drain off rusty water and then carefully add it to your model, allow to dry and then varnish the deposited rust into place. How simple is that?

Mini Zedtro

November 3, 2009

DSCF2497I’ve always got an eye out for a cheap option for gaming and 28mm Zombies have proved no exception. Here’s a toy I found in a local pound shop which proved to be almost perfect out of the box, but I’ve done a little work on it to make it fit in better, and the end result is a jolly piece.

DSCF2499The first thing I did was to take it apart, which was easy because it all holds together with a single screw. separated the main components and painted them, created a small scene of carnage in the back seats featuring some parts from Wargames Factory plastic zombies, dulled down all the silver chrome, and blood splattered the windows on the inside, then matt varnished the lot except for the windows. This model is slightly too large, but I managed to shave 3 to 4mm off the height by resetting the axles so the wheels sat further into the wheel arches.

DSCF2500All in all a very quick bash to make a very usable model and costing less than £2 in total. Magic!